Posted January. 23, 2013 07:05,
The state-run Korea Expressway Corp. will join a public campaign for safe driving being run jointly by The Dong-An Ilbo and its cable TV network Channel A.
Even a minor violation could result in a major accident on a highway, said CEO Chang Seok-hyo. We will get actively involved in the campaign to help reduce traffic violations and prevent accidents.
The company will participate in Dong-As coverage of road violations jointly with other organizations that have pledged to join the campaign, including the Korea Transportation Safety Authority, the Korea Transport Institute, the National Policy Agency, the General Insurance Association of Korea and Samsung Traffic Safety Research Institute.
A sharp increase in traffic fatalities of last year attributed to failure to fasten seat belts, drivers not keeping their eyes on the road, and trouble staying awake while driving. The number of deaths due to failure to fasten seat belts alone nearly doubled to 137 in 2012 from 70 the previous year. Traffic deaths caused by driver negligence, such as using mobile phones or watching mobile broadcasting while driving, numbered 128 last year, up from 70 the previous year. Chang said, The number of accidents that could have been prevented by paying just a little more attention has been increasing, making a stronger crackdown and awareness promotional efforts a priority.
The highway corporation will begin a campaign on public safety awareness with Dong-A and Channel A to encourage people to practice safe driving, while cracking down harder on speeding and mobile phone use while driving. In addition, safety education will be offered to drivers of trucks or intercity buses.