Posted January. 05, 2009 03:00,
The Program Management Consortium, which is overseeing the relocation of U.S. military bases in Korea to Pyeongtaek, has submitted a final proposal to move the Yongsan Garrison in Seoul by the end of 2014 and the 2nd Infantry Division in northern Gyeonggi Province by the first half of 2016.
The consortium submitted the proposal at the end of last year. Under the plan, the 8th U.S. Army within the Yongsan Garrison will be relocated by the first half of 2013. The U.S. Korea Command, to be established around 2011 following the transfer of wartime operational control to Seoul, will move to the Pyeongtaek area by the first half of 2014.
Other facilities are scheduled for transfer by the end of 2014.
In addition, relocation of the command post of the 2nd Infantry Division and its military units will occur between 2013 and the first half of 2016.
Despite Koreas demand to complete the relocation by 2014, the United States postponed the deadline to 2016 citing budget and technical issues. In response, the Korean Defense Ministry said the specific relocation timeline and cost will be released after coordination with its counterpart based on the consortiums final proposal.
A military source said, Defense Minister Lee Sang-hee and U.S. Forces Korea Commander Walter Sharp will reach an agreement on the relocation plan based on the consortiums final proposal within this month.