Go to contents

“Cyber Security Center” under Fire for Lack of Action Regarding Hacking Damages

“Cyber Security Center” under Fire for Lack of Action Regarding Hacking Damages

Posted July. 15, 2004 22:10,   


Regarding the recent cyber attack on major institutions, the National Cyber Security Center, established in mid-February under the National Intelligence Service, is coming under fire for not doing its job and further increasing the damage.

According to the NIS and the National Police Agency on July 15, the center sent out warnings of “caution” on this incident on July 6, a month after first becoming aware of the hacking into major institutions. Though it learned through police investigations that six national institutions and 70 private computers had been hacked at the beginning of June, NCSC did not take any action.

The center only upgraded its warning to “alert” on July 13 after it became known that dozens of national institutions and private computers had been hacked.

An intelligence official asserted, “Though serious damage had been inflicted by the cyber attacks, proper action was not taken, leaving major institutions and private computers exposed to the danger of additional hacking for over a month.”

The NCSC was established in mid-February to protect the nation’s network after the “Internet crisis” on January 25 last year. The center is to announce forecasts and warnings of four levels—normal, caution, alert, danger—according to the projected threat of a cyber attack.

Regarding these criticisms, an NIS official explained, “The NCSC disclosed the threat of cyber attacks and the amount of damage through three announcements since June 19. The center took appropriate action, upgrading its warning to the third highest ‘caution’ level after discussion with NSC and other related agencies on July 6.”

Meanwhile, on July 15, regarding our report that five U.S. military headquarters abroad were hacked, the USFK public relations officer confirmed the fact saying, “It is true that the U.S. Military CCIU investigators came to Korea and requested for the cooperation of Korea’s police agency with U.S. Military CID agents.”

However, the officer cited, “No confirmation can be made on the damage since an investigation is underway regarding the harm caused by the incident.”

Spokesperson Shin Bong-gil of the Foreign Ministry said this day, “Vice Minister Choi Young-jin requested the full cooperation of China in investigations regarding the incident to Chinese Ambassador to Korea Li Bin, and Ambassador Li replied he would make efforts to assist the investigation, relaying the request to the Chinese government.”