Posted July. 17, 2009 07:37,
North Koreas No. 2 man Kim Yong Nam (photo) said yesterday that the six-party nuclear talks are "over forever."
Speaking at the 15th Non-Aligned Movement summit in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, Kim said, Since the United States and its allies do not respect our sovereignty, we are not ready to resume negotiations on our nuclear program and the six-party talks are over forever.
The Associated Press and other media quoted Kim as saying, There is no conversation and negotiation in a place where sovereignty and equality are not respected. The U.S. is driving us toward confrontation with hostility.
Pyongyang said it will snub the six-party talks after the U.N. Security Council adopted the council chair`s statement in response to North Koreas rocket launches in April. As a result, the six-party talks, which had been held since 2003, face their biggest obstacle.
The Japanese daily Yomiuri Shimbun said the Security Council, which has discussed imposing sanctions on North Korea for its recent nuclear test, decided to sanction nine North Koreans deeply involved in Pyongyangs nuclear and missile programs.
They include Ri Chae Son, Yom Yong and Hwang Sok Ha of the North Korean agency in charge of nuclear development and research, staff of the Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center, and the head of a trading company dealing in materials used for nuclear weapons and missiles. The sanctions include freezing overseas assets and banning their entry into other countries.
A diplomatic source said a broad consensus was reached on the list of the people to be sanctioned at the U.N. Security Councils sanctions committee. China, which has remained passive in sanctioning North Korea, is supporting the measure.
If an agreement is reached, this will be the first time that individuals are targeted for sanctions.