Go to contents

Korean Premier Leaguers Clash in FA Cup

Posted March. 01, 2007 08:00,   


Park Ji-sung (26, Manchester United) and Seol Ki-hyeon (28, Reading F.C.) had a showdown last night, and another between Park Ji-sung and Lee Dong-gook (28, Middlesbrough F.C.) is coming up soon.

Manchester United defeated Reading 3-2 in the second match of the fifth round, or round of 16, in the FA Cup tournament, on February 28 at Reading’s home field, Madejski Stadium. The Reds bombed Reading’s goal in the first six minutes with three goals, scored by Gabriel Heinze, Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjær. Although Reading struggled to catch up as Dave Kitson and Leroy Lita scored later on, Manchester successfully protected their goal from the equalizer and marched to the quarterfinals.

Park and Seol Contend for 68 Minutes-

The two Koreans were in the starting squad of each team and fought each other until the 68th minute, when Seol was substituted for Glen Little.

As Park played in right midfield while Seol played in left midfield, they clashed frequently. In the 16th minute, Seol committed a foul against Park who was trying to keep control of the ball. Despite the continuous contest, both of them ended up without goals or assists.

Park had a chance in the 37th minute as he dashed to the goal mouth to receive Solskjær’s pass, but the goalie reached the ball before him. In the 45th minute, Seol took a middle-range shot with his right foot, but it was also denied by the goaltender.

Lee Dong-gook Hits the Post Again-

Meanwhile, Lee Dong-gook was disheartened to miss his shot in a penalty shoot-out in his second appearance in the English league.

Middlesbrough advanced to the quarterfinals, winning a victory over West Bromwich Albion F.C. in The Championship, the second-highest league division in English football.

After 90 minutes and extra time concluded in a 1-1 draw, Middlesbrough won 5-4 in the penalty shoot-out.

Replacing Australian national team striker Mark Viduka, Lee entered the pitch in the 86th minute and formed the forward line with Aiyegbeni Yakubu. He played for 39 minutes, including four minutes left in the second half, five minutes of injury time, and 30 minutes of extra time.

Three minutes after he joined the match, Lee hammered a middle-range right-footer which West Bromwich goalkeeper Dean Kiely managed to tip away. In the fifth minute of extra time, he headed a cross from Stewart Downing, but it missed the goal. In the 18th minute of extra time, he attempted another middle-range shot, which went wide of the goal.

Middlesbrough gave away the first goal to Darren Carter in the 26th minute but leveled the score with Viduka’s equalizer in the 63rd minute. In the penalty shoot-out Lee played the second kicker but his kick hit the left post. In spite of that, Middlesbrough finally won it with a score of 5-4.

Man U and Boro to Clash-

In the FA Cup quarterfinals, Middlesbrough will fight against Manchester United at their home, Riverside Stadium at 2:30 a.m. March 11 (Korean Time).