Go to contents

KCC Rallies to Victory From 27 Points Behind

Posted April. 10, 2005 23:21,   


It was an unbelievable come-from-behind victory.

In the second quarter, the KCC EGIS was 27 points behind the TG Sambo Xers. No one could predict the reversal in the game. Another loss would have sent the KCC off the cliff into three consecutive defeats.

Still, KCC never gave up and gained a precious win after two successive defeats.

On April 10, KCC and TG Sambo had their third match in the final round (the team which wins four games of seven gaining the final victory) of the 2005 Korean Basketball League (KBL) Championship. Jeonju Stadium, the home court for KCC and where the game was held, was packed with 6,026 basketball fans. Thanks to Cho Seong-won (27 points scored), “the man of the fourth quarter,” the KCC beat the TG, 89-85. The win puts KCC’s record at one win and two defeats in the series, and relieved the team of some pressure. The fourth match in the final round is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. on April 12 in Jeonju.

In the third match, KCC hit 15 successful three-point shots, a record in the history of the KBL championship. Moreover, the game was the 33rd championship game, another record in Korea’s professional basketball league, for Cho Seong-won. He made 14 points, including three three-point shots, in the last quarter alone.

KCC ended the third quarter, 61-75, 14 points behind its opponent. But in the final quarter, Cho managed to get a foul called on his defender while attempting a three-point shot, and was successful in converting his three-point free throws. Afterwards, he shot three three-pointers in a row to close the scoring gap up to 77-83.

Although TG hurriedly made a three-point shot under the pressure of the 24-second rule, the ball bounced off the backboard and was snatched up by Watkins of TG. Watkins dunked the ball.

However, the triumphant atmosphere drastically changed when a referee reversed his decision in favor of TG on account of Storey’s shot not hitting the rim. The KCC continued to close the score gap with Cho Seong-won making five successive points with three-point shots, offensive rebounds and lay-ups. The game stood at 82-83 with a single point separating the two teams. The KCC wrapped up the game, after reaching 87-83 with Minlend’s turnaround shot and Cho’s another three-point shot from the left corner just 44.3 seconds before the buzzer rang.

Jong-Seok Kim kjs0123@donga.com