Posted September. 26, 2017 08:04,
Updated September. 26, 2017 08:30
“The operation had been reported to President Moon Jae-in in real-time while he was in New York (to attend the UN general assembly last week), and had already been discussed in detail between the two allies” the South Korean presidential office Cheong Wa Dae announced Saturday, regarding the armed protest that involved U.S. Air Force B-1B Lancer conventional strategic bombers that flew over international waters near the North Korean city of Wonsan beyond the Northern Limit Line.
“I reconfirmed principles of peace and strong sanctions of the international community against North Korea’s nuclear and missile provocations through the UN General Assembly and meetings with heads of state,” said President Moon who presided the meeting with his senior secretaries on Monday. “I have asked for bipartisan cooperation and integrated efforts by civil society for this issue as security crises and unprecedentedly elevated tension on the Korean Peninsula are persisting.”
“President Moon is planning to discuss ways to encourage bipartisan cooperation for security with opposition leadership on Wednesday,” Cheong Wa Dae spokesperson Park Su-hyeon said.
In the meantime, U.S. President Donald Trump signed a new administrative order to ban or restrict citizens of eight countries, including North Korea, from entering the United States on Sunday (local time). It is an Iran-style secondary boycott intending to cut off funding to North Korea and to strain its leader Kim Jong Un by putting diplomatic pressure as well as military pressure such as dispatching B-1B.
Against this backdrop, North Korean nationals will be banned from entering the country for immigration, travel, employment and other purposes from Oct. 19. “Several countries remain currently inadequate in their identity-management protocols and information-sharing practices or present sufficient risk factors that travel restrictions are required,” the White House explained the background of the order.