Posted April. 20, 2009 08:38,
North Korea has threatened to attack Seoul if South Korea joins the U.S.-led Proliferation Security Initiative.
Condemning Seouls plan to fully participate in the initiative, a spokesman for the North Korean People`s Army general staff said Saturday, We will consider any pressure on us, including sanctions condemning our rocket launch or South Koreas full participation in the Proliferation Security Initiative, as a declaration of undisguised confrontation and war against us.
Saying its army has no limitations on conducting a military attack, the spokesman said, (The South Korean government) must not forget that Seoul is 50 kilometers away from the Military Demarcation Line.
This was the Norths second threat of an attack on Seoul. In March 1993 when inter-Korean working-level military talks were held at the truce village of Panmunjom, the Norths representative Pak Yong Su threatened that Seoul will be set aflame when war breaks out.
Saturdays comment also marked the first direct response from the North Koreas military to the Souths full entry into the initiative. The North had previously commented on the initiative from its Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland.
Pyongyang also expressed its intention to develop nuclear weapons, saying, To build our defensive power, our revolutionary military will utilize all measures including nuclear deterrent, not being bound to the six-party talks.
Reaffirming the North Korean Foreign Ministrys announcement Tuesday to boycott the six-party talks, the spokesman said, Our army pinned no hope on the six-party talks from the beginning.
South Koreas military has been on high alert and closely watched the movement of the North near the Military Demarcation Line and the Northern Limit Line in the Yellow Sea. No developments have been detected.